700g beef stewing steak trimmed and cut into 4cms cubes
2 large onions
1tblsp olive oil
1 clove garlic crushed
1 rounded tblsp plain flour
1 rounded tblsp smoked paprika – This also works well with sweet paprika or a mix of both
400g tin Italian chopped tomatoes
1 medium green pepper
1 red pepper
150ml soured cream
salt and pepper
- Pre heat the oven to 140c
- Heat the oil in a flameproof casserole dish until sizzling hot and then brown the cubes of beef on all sides, cooking a few at a time and transferring them to a plate with a slotted spoon as they brown.
- Reduce the heat to medium and then stir in the onions and cook for 5 minutes until pale golden. Add the garlic, sliced green pepper and return the meat to the dish, sprinkle in the flour and paprika and stir to soak up the juices.
- Next, add the tin of tomatoes, season with salt and pepper and bring everything to a slow simmering point before covering with a tight fitting lid and transferring the casserole to the middle of the oven. Cook for 2 hours
- Prepare the red pepper by halving it, removing the seeds and cutting the flesh into 3cms strips. Then, when the 2 hours are up, stir the chopped pepper into the goulash, this is also a good time to have a taste and maybe add some more paprika.
- Replace the lid and cook for a further 30 minutes.
- Just before serving, stir in the soured cream to give a marble effect and sprinkle a little more paprika over. Serve straight from the casserole.