This is a basic pastry which is used for many things such as pies.
The quantities are given as a guideline. The important part is use 1/2 fat to 1 flour.
Ingredients for a 20cm / 8″ tin. Base & Lid
- 8 oz / 220g Flour. For pies I use plain white but self raising can also be used.
- 4 oz / 110g Fat. I prefer butter but marg can also be used. It is easier to work with if the fat is at room temp.
- Sieve flour into a mixing bowl. If you don’t have a sieve do not worry just put it in a bowl.
- For ease of working I cut the butter into lumps. Add the fat to the flour.
- Use your fingers combine the ingredients.
- Now add 1/2 tsp of water and mix in. Repeat until the dough forms. It should form a ball in the bowl and is soft to touch.
- If it is sticky add some a little more flour.
- Cover the bowl or transfer the dough ball to a food bag and place in fridge for a minimum of 30 minutes. Longer is ok provided the bowl or bag is sealed. You do not want a crust forming on the dough.
- Remove when you wish to use it. Try to keep it cool up to the point of use.